Thursday, January 15, 2015

Mixed Media Challenge Jan/Feb - Flying Unicorn

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to be hosting the mixed media / art journal mid month challenge for Flying Unicorn. 

For inspiration for this challenge I have created a double art journal page for you all. The tutorial below will outline how the background was created. Please if you have any questions feel free to ask. 


Products Used
Prima  Sunrise Sunset Paper Collection
Faber Castell PITT Pen Black


1) To begin I gave my double page a coat of Heavy Gesso in color white.
2) I layered paper strips from the Sunrise Sunset collection combined with strips of resist canvas.
3) Random strips of dry wall tape were added.
4) A white wash of water combined with gesso was then painted over the double page.


1) Using a palette knife I applied some Art Ingredients Light Paste through the harlequin stencil.
2) While the light paste is still wet I sprinkled on both mica flakes and glass beads.


Ever used Art Extravagance Crackle Texture Paste? It is amazon!!! and crackles so so well. I LOVE THIS stuff (yes capital letters LOVE). I added a thick spread onto a canvas heart and left it outside in the sun to dry. Look at those amazing cracks. 


My title was created using block stamps, I cut them out and inked the edges. Using the Doily stamp with brown ink I randomly stamped all over the two pages.


The color for my pages is Primary Elements Artist Pigments in Burnt Umber, Ginger Peach. Rose Gold and Yellow Rose. A small amount of powder was mixed in a spritzer bottle. Using a PITT pen I outlined random sections and smudged with my finger.

Thank you for looking, I wish you all a happy and creative day.

~ Rebecca ~

4 comments:

  1. amazing mixed media ! loooove it, go girl, my talented friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful I really love the colours and textures. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally stunning! Great step by step too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks gorgeous. Thanks for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete